Question
Posted by: Lalla | 2011/11/21

Leanor shakes

Hi, I would like to know whether Leonor shakes interfere with birth control pills? I''ve that you can fall pregnant when using the Leanor drops while on birth control pills, but can''t find anything about the Leanor shakes. Can you please clarify for me?

Dear Lalla
If the Leonor shakes do not contain any ingredients that cause constant diarrhoea, then they will probably not interfere with birth control pills. The problem with over-the-counter diet products like the Leanor drops you mention, is that they usually contain a strong laxative which can cause diarrhoea and then prevent the contraceptive pills from being absorbed, which in turn can of course cause women to fall pregnant. Go to your chemist and ask him/her to check if any of the ingredients in the Leanor shakes is a laxative, if so then it is probably safer to avoid them. If the shakes only contain protein, vitamins and minerals and some form of carbs, then you can use them safely.

1

Dear Lalla