Posted by: Anonymous gal | 2009-09-08

leaky gut- other type?

I heard socially from an endocrinologist in training recently that there are two conditions referred to as leaky gut- one being the condition where you get diarrhoea a lot and the other being the gut walls actually leaking toxins into the body because for some reason - a lck of certain hormomes I think he said-they have not been passed from the gut into the blood for elimination by the liver and kidneys. He says your body then is so full of toxins that it leads to things like sinusitis and fibromyalgia, both of which I have. Your comments?

Dear Gal
I must say that I have not heard about this second version of the leaky gut syndrome - it may be possible, but I just wonder if the toxins that are not "passed from the gut into the blood" can't be excreted with the faeces??? At this point, I would use probiotics such as Bifidoflora to help to restore the beneficial organisms in the gut which should then be able to eliminate such toxins. I do not believe that sinusitis is caused by leaky gut syndrome, but that patients either have chronic infections (which are often resistant to standard antibiotics) or suffer from a wide variety of allergies (e.g. grass, pollen, animal hairs and dander, house mites, foods, etc). I would recommend that you consult an Ear Nose & Throat specialist about your sinusitis and a physician for the fibromyalgia. From a dietary point of view both conditions should respond to the use of probiotics, plus a well balanced diet that is rich in protective nutrients and omega-3 supplements (salmon oil capsules). If your diet is not well balanced, please consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), who will assist you with more beneficial food choices and recommend vitamin and mineral supplement IF you should be deficient in any one of these nutrients.