Posted by: Michelle | 2009-07-21

Leaky Gut and weight Gain

I am a 32 year old female, petite frame weighing 40 kg' s. I have been diagnosed with Leaky Gut Syndrome (LGS) as a result of multiple medications used to treat sepsis from emergency surgery in 2007. I have always had a fast metabolism and been thin, however now I am severely under-weight and need to gain weight with suffucuent nutritional intake to regain my previous good health and give me sufficient energy.

I have no identifieable medical conditions and a dietitian has also not been able to help (supposedly one of the best...) I eat all the time but due to the Leaky Gut Syndrome am restricted to whole foods, minimal dairy (this agravates my bowel and stomach causing vomiting and diarrea) and obviously high protein meals. However even with eating 6 high protein meals daily and snacking on nuts, seeds, biltong and fruit in between I am not gaining weight - so much so that my Dr is very concerned. What can I do? The LGS is creating a big problem as I used to eat everything and anything and never gained weight, now I can' t even do that... Any assistance or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Dear Michelle
I am so sorry to hear that you are suffering from leaky gut syndrome and that this has caused you to lose weight so drastically. Have you tried using probiotics ("good microorganisms") to help restore the normal flora of your intestines? If not, then please try using Intestiflora (which contains both Lactobacilli & Bifidobacteria). You can buy Intestiflora at health shops and from dietitians. You may also be able to use certain sports products for boosting energy, but discuss your milk sensitivity with your pharmacist when you purchase such supplements because they should only contain carbohydrates and NO milk or whey proteins. Use this type of supplement in ADDITION to your normal meals and snacks, so that you really boost your energy intake.
Holding thumbs that you will now gain some weight.