Question
Posted by: anon | 2011/04/05

LEAKING VALVE/CLICKING SOUND IN HEART

I am 34year old female, do not smoke, high cholestrol 7.43, family history of cardiac problems. I have pain in the centre of my chest, shoulder pain, heart palpitations, fatigue and pain below left breast(no pattern to pain, even get the pain when lying down). My doctor upon examining heard a clicking sound in my heart and said that I have a leaking valve, however ecg is normal, he said that pain is not heart related. I am still a bit concerned, is the leaking valve a cause for concern.

Expert ImageCardiologist

Hi anon. Being a young pre-menopausal non-smoking woman of 34 your risk of coronary disease in the the next 10 -15 years is very low, even with a high cholesterol and a family history of heart problems. Also, your pain doesn not sound cardiac. I agree with your doctor that it is not heart-related.

A click with a murmur usually means a condition called mitral valve prolapse (or Barlow's syndrome). It is a very common condition especially in slim young women, and usually very benign. You have probably had it for years without knowing about it! The diagnosis can be confirmed by doing an echocardiogram which any cardiologist can do for you. Occasionally patients with mitral prolapse develop a severe valve leak and require valve surgery, but far more commonly the valve gives no trouble for many years, if ever. A cardiologist can assess your mitral valve carefully for you and give you advice.

1
Posted by: Cardiologist | 2011/04/06

Reply to Cardiologist