Posted by: Riek | 2008-11-17

Leadership in schools

My daugter will be going to grade 7 next year, she has received merit awards previously, she has won the best netbal player award for her age, she wasn' t selected to be a school prefect for next year, she was in tears I felt so sorry for her on thursday evening, she wasn' t prepare to go to school on friday and is very depressed, her father does' t pay her school fees, could that be the reason why she wasn' t selected? my child is so depressed now, or could it be because I don' t belong to the parent teachers group.

It would be disgraceful if any school EVER let issues of fee-paying decide any child's place in a posrts team, or as a prefect, etc.
But talk calmly with her. There are many reasons why a person is or isn't chosen as a prefect, and many brilliant and marvellous people don't get selected as prefects --- and then go on to achieve more in their lives than the entire group of prefects ever do. Actually, I think in almost all schools, the actual reasons for selecting prefects are corrupt and foolish. In selecting someone for a job, or for a university place, etc., I always completely ignore whether someone was a prefect or not. Indeed, if they were, I wonder why.

Posted by: M& M | 2008-11-17

I think it is disgusting in our school all the teachers and headmaster kids are prefects

Reply to M&amp M
Posted by: Anon | 2008-11-17

Your daughter is defnitelly prefect material, I think that the school fee does have something to do with it..
In fact I know for sure, I do belong to the parents association of my children`s school

Posted by: Mom | 2008-11-17

I was top of my class, good in sports, never in trouble and was also never chosen for Prefect. I think its a popularity contest and nothing else.

Remind her of all the great achievements she made and that not being selected has taken nothing away from her. Its all you can do.

Reply to Mom