Posted by: Annaabelle | 2011-04-11

Lazy Bowels

Hi. I have been taking laxatives (senna) for many years as my bowels dont work at all unless I do this. I eat a lot of fibre, drink water, hike and do all the right things, but I''m desperate to now get my system back to normal. But how do you get bowels to work when they cant without laxatives? Movicol has been recommded, but I cant go on trying these expensive treatments when none of them has had success with me before. I''ve tried all the other fibre solutions such Normacol, but nothing works. Do you think Movicol would be worth trying? Thank you.

Expert ImageNatural health

your body would have become used to the senna. slowly wean yourself of (using less at a time) whilst introducing the other products and be patient. you basically need to retrain your bowels again. sit on the loo in the morning for half an hour - even if nothing happens to "retrain" the bowels. Acupuncture would also help you.

Kind regards
Dr Debbie