Question
Posted by: Angie | 2011/02/04

Laymens diagnosis of MRI

I have been experiencing severe neck, shoulder and arm pain on the right side. I went to see the doc and tried medication and physio for 6 weeks and there was no change in my symptoms dr ordered MRI and the findings were as follows:Axial Level C6/7 - Broad based disk bulging with mild narrowing of both intervertebral foramina. Osteophyte formation of the left facet joint area with C7 nerve root irritation in the foramina. No obvious nerve root impingement in the right fomamina. What does this mean in laymans terms and what treatment is available? I am young female 31 yrs old and the pain is so severe that my movement and daily task are restricted and I am constinantly off sick. In the mrI they are referring to the left but the pain, tingling and numbness is all on the right side how is this possible?

Expert ImageOrthopaedic Specialist Forum

I agree that your symptoms suggest that the pathology should be on the right side. I presume that you are seeing a good neurosurgeon and at the end of the day the diagnosis is aided by the MRI but a great deal also depends on the clinical examination. One should also consider that other conditions can cause pain in the shoulder, and arm with a similar presentation: one is Thoracic Outlet Syndrome and the other is Calcific Tendinitis of the shoulder. Do have a look at our website : www.shoulderinstitute.co.za and then at those two conditions.
MRI on its own is not decisive

1
Posted by: Orthopaedic Specialist Forum | 2011/02/05

MRI on its own is not decisive

Reply to Orthopaedic Specialist Forum