Question
Posted by: Nav | 2011/03/30

Lay awake for hours

I''m struggling to fall asleep at night.
I feel exhausted and tired at the end of each day but the moment i lay down to sleep i fell wide awake and think about everything and anything, I''ve tried keeping a notebook of my worries and I''ve controlled my day time anxieties.
I cant stand just lying there, eventually i tell myself i cant just lie there so i get up to read or do some chores but i''m constantly thinking about how i need to sleep and how i''m not going to function well the next day. I''ll get back to bed and i''ll lay awake again.
I do eventually fall asleep but it takes on average 1-2hrs. It disrupts my sleep so badly. i dont wake up feeling rested.
I don''t know what to do? Please help.
Nav

Expert ImageSleep Expert

This sounds like a condition called "psychophysiological insomnia", which is a fancy way of saying bad habits.

It is best managed using behavioural techniques, which will generally solve the problem within a matter of a few weeks.

However, you will need a sleep doctor to help you with it.

Dont fall into the trap of using ever-increasing amounts of sleeping tablets!

1
Posted by: Sleep expert | 2011/03/31

Reply to Sleep expert