Posted by: DarkAngel | 2011-11-24

Please i would like to know. When does laxative (Laxa-dor) abuse become dangerous? What can i do to stop?

Expert ImageEating Disorders Expert

Hello DarkAngel,
It seems that another reader has already given you some advice, and good advice at that. You should never be taking laxatives for the purpose of losing weight. In fact, I do not condone the use of any medication or substance for the purpose of losing weight, as we ultimately need to be able to listen to our appetite and practice moderate and healthy eating habits. Laxative should, in my opinion, only be prescribed by knowledgeable medical professionals, as most laxative use is unnecessary. Furthermore, laxative abuse is extremely dangerous. Your body becomes dehydrated and depleted of essential minerals (sodium and potassium), which are the "battery fluid" that keep the pump of the heart working. Excessive laxative abuse can cause a heart attack. I suggest you consult a registered dietician for guidance. If you have an eating disorder, then some therapy might also be helpful.

Posted by: Darkangel | 2012-01-19

Hi Kasandra, i cant tell you how many times i have back to read your reply.
i have not taken a laxative in two weeks, im not too sure how i feel about that, glad in a way and yet not. im suffering with major heartburn. There are many reasons why i started them, i knew they had worked in the past, i hate being over weight, yes i hate who i am i hate life in a rather odd way, its something that im trying to keep out of my head for the sake of my son and boyfriend.

Anyway thank you for your reply and being there.

Reply to Darkangel
Posted by: Kasandra | 2011-12-06

Just like purging your food out you want to " clean"  yourself after a meal - do you think you ate too much? i use to take them esp after a meal I felt guilty about eating.

Think it about it like this. The longer you do it the longer its going to take your body to bounce back, you going to mess up your digestive system and you will dehydrate yourself.

I would keep a journal, write down what you eat, how you are feeling and then why do you feel the " need"  to take the laxative, what do you think you gain from it.

Evaluate your feelings around why you take them. Is there maybe something you can do after a meal, like go for a walk so you not tempted to take a laxative.

The best is just NOT to take it and then write down how you feel.

Please keep posting.

Reply to Kasandra
Posted by: DarkAngel | 2011-12-06

Hi Kasandra, you say that you have been there. This is my third time down this road but it was different before a much shorter time and my body was able to bounce back quickly.
This time i take more and have for much longer and now i dont know how to stop. i really need some advice, PLEASE

Reply to DarkAngel
Posted by: Kasandra | 2011-12-05

its dangerous as soon as you start it as all these laxatives make your stomach lazy and can give you the reverse effect. Its just not a good idea.

If you really struggle then a bowl of all bran with milk would do the trick but stay away from this harsh laxatives which can lead to addiction.

When you feel the urge to take one. JUST DON''T. Take it one day at a time.

Try to eat a healthy balanced eating plan so you dont feel the need for laxatives.

Good luck I have been there and its not nice.

Reply to Kasandra