Question
Posted by: Demi | 2011-10-14

Laxative vs Prune Juice

I have been eating healthy and exercising for a few months now and have managed to loose 25kg. I find that my bowel does not move as regularily as it used to. I know that some people dont need to go as often, and I do eat a diet full of fibre rich fruit and veg and drink lots of water, and walk everyday.
I do however sometimes feel like its been too long since my tummy has gone.
Now I do know that one cannot take a laxative on a regular basis as your bowels become dependant on them.
A friend suggested I drink a cup of prune juice everyday as it has health benefits and will help with my tummy.
My question is - would that not be the same a using a laxative? Would your system not become used to being helped by the prune juice?

Dear Demi
You are a bright ***star*** for losing 25 kg with such a sensible approach. If you find that you tend to be constipated, then using boiled dried fruit or the suggested prune juice, is definitely a more natural method of promoting regularity than taking harsh laxatives. I would suggest that you vary the prune juice with other types of cooked dried fruit (eat at breakfast with your high fibre cereal), to provide variety and thus prevent dependence. It is not necessary to have a bowel motion every single day, as you know, so don't take the prune juice every day either. The use of probiotics ("good microorganisms") such as Bifidoflora (buy at health shops), can also help to regulate bowel movements. Click on 'Diet & Nutrition', and 'Healthy colon' to read about probiotics and their role in regularity.

2
Posted by: DietDoc | 2011-10-15

Dear Demi

Posted by: Kasandra | 2011-10-14

stay far away from laxatives. please

prune juice is great but stick to a quater a cup in the mornings and see how it goes.

increase your in take of veggies

Reply to Kasandra