Question
Posted by: Scared | 2009/03/24

Laxative Abuse

I' ve been abusing laxatives for the past 2 years. I' ve been taking as many as 30 a day. I know this is very dangerous and I would like to stop, but I' m scared that I will become severely constipated. Is there any advice you can give me with regards to what I can do until my bowel starts working by itself again?

Dear Scared
Good for you to decide to stop abusing laxatives! You can use Duphalac or Movicol with safety to keep your stool soft. Also eat a diet high in fibre and fruit and drink enough water ( 8 glasses per day). Beetroot is also a good natural stool softener.