Question
Posted by: Annie | 2009/08/05

Law regarding domestic employees

Hi there,

I have recently lost my job and unfortunately have to let my domestic worker go as a consequence of this. She is a " piece"  worker, i.e. she works for me once a week. What does the law say in regards to me giving her notice, etc?

Thank you!

Expert ImageLabour lawyer

RE: LAW REGARDING DOMETIC EMPLOYEES

If your employee is working less than 24 hours per month then she does not receive certain protection from the Basic conditions of Employment Act. However if she is working over the 24 hours, you have to give her at least one month's notice if she has been working for you for over 6 months.