Question
Posted by: P A | 2008/06/08

Laughing too much and too often

Dear Doctor,
Sometimes something happens or people say something and I find it funny and laugh, even when most people don't find it funny enough to laugh at it. I also think about that for a long time and laugh every few minutes while the others are already talking about a different topic. I know I shouldn't laugh and therefore I try to avoid it which causes my laughing to be like a burst, which makes a lot worse and the others must think I'm crazy.
I am a nervous person and can't control my emotions well. I often cry easily too, if others criticize me or something sad happens. Also, in a formal situation at school first and now at work I tend not to separate my work life from my personal life, I mean, if my employers criticize me, I get as hurt as if they were my parents and sometimes even cry.
Another thing is that when I'm in terrible pain, I do not cry, I make sounds like laughing, although I wouldn't call it laughing because it's not because I find it funny but because the pain is so strong that I have no control.

However, I know every year I have more control and have more normal reactions. Especially since I started working and have more responsibilities.

Now the question is: do I have any psychological disorder or is that called immaturity? I'm 23.

P.S. I was always very shy and had a violent childhood.

No reason why you shouldn't laugh --- maybe you feel a bit uneasy and nervous in public / groups, and the laughing too loud or long arises from that nervousless. This fits with the shyness, as a Social Anxiety Disorder, and if you experienced violence in childhood, this may have added to this effect, and made you a tad too eager to please others to avoid possibilities of violence. I'd think that some CBT, Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy, the current best-buy form of psychotherapy / counselling, could help you feel more confident, more comfortable when in a group, and more anle to relax and fel and act naturally when with others. And it shouldn't take long to achieve this, either