Posted by: Karmen | 2009-06-09

Laughing- Please answer Question

Hi Doc... You didn' t answer my question about the laughing. It was a serious question. I do spend about 30 minues a day laughing and I have heard it' s a good workout. Please answer!

Hi Karmen

I'm sorry, I missed the question. I did post a while back that I was travelling with the SA Rugby team and so would have only very sporadic access to the forum, so I must have missed your question in that time. My apologies.

When did you submit it? What date? I'll go back and have a look.

But in the meantime, my opinion is that structured laughing is probably better than doing nothing, but I wouldn't put it on the same level as other forms of cardio. There are unquestionably benefits, yes, and as I say, it's better than nothing, but I've not seen proven benefits to it, compared to say running or cycling or aerobics. I think there are other benefits, not exercise related, that would kick in if the laughter is natural, and they may even be present in 'forced' laughter. I guess the main one is that you'd be tonically contracting abdominal muscles in order to laugh, and that's good for their tone. You can do pretty much the same thing by forcing yourself to sit upright and work on posture.

But as a cardio workout, I wouldn't put much faith in it causing either weight loss or improved fitness, I'm afraid. I may be proven wrong by research, which is yet to be done, however.

Posted by: Ruby | 2009-06-12

Reply to Ruby
Posted by: Martin Combrinck | 2009-06-09

Yes laughter is a good workout and the best medicine - and it does not cost anything! Laughter for Africa has more info on laughter and its benefits.

Reply to Martin Combrinck