Question
Posted by: sensitive | 2010/11/17

latex allergy

Hello Doc,

I seem to be allergic to latex - condoms make me itchy and leave me with a vaginal infection. Is there a substitute?

Latex allergy is not uncommon amongst people. Fortunately these days there are several alternative (non latex) condoms on the market. It is however to educate yourself with regards the pro and cons of each to ensure that you are informed. The following link might do for interesting reading - http://sexuality.about.com/od/contraception/a/condomlatexalle.htm. Furthermore it is advised to seek professional advice from your medical doctor to make sure that you have diagnosed yourself correctly and that there is not another underlying infection present.

You are welcome to phone our helpline – 0860100262 where you could be assisted in finding a practitioner as close as possible to you.
Furthermore you are welcome to visit the following website for any more sexual health information and assignments that could be helpful: www.sexualhealth.co.za

3
Posted by: Huh? | 2010/11/18

Durex has latex free condoms on the market

Reply to Huh?
Posted by: sexologist | 2010/11/18

Reply to sexologist
Posted by: C | 2010/11/17

Senstive, Yes you can be allergic, I cannot used condoms either, get terrible infections and sore and itchy. I did use spermicide for a while but its awfully messy. Are you in a relationship or are we talking casual sex here? Of course you need protection if the latter is the case.

Reply to C