Question
Posted by: Natasha | 2011/03/17

Late periods, negative blood test

Hi. I''ve been off the pill for 11 months now (went off first week in May last year after having been on it only since October 2009). My last period was abnormally long - it started on 13 January and only finished 21 January. At the end of Jan I went for a papsmeer and everything was fine. I was supposed to get my period on 18 Feb, but nothing happened. I had cramps (my normal cramps - they''re always heavy) and some light spotting only, but this lasted about 2-3 days and the spotting was very light - did not even make a difference to a pantyliner (my periods are normally heavy and sore). I took 3 pregnancy tests at that time, but they all came back negative. I then went for a blood test two weeks ago and that test also came back negative. It is now 8 weeks since the last day of my last period. Any idea what this can be about? We''ve been trying to conceive for 11 months, but so far nothing has happened and I am becoming very despondent. My husband and me have also been stressed out a lot lately so I think that might be playing a role as well.

Stress can certianly cause a delay in periods, as can cysts and hormonal problems. I would suggest that you see your gynaecologist.

1