Posted by: LATE PERIOD - ECTOPIC PREGNANCY | 2010-06-29

Hi, I had reversal of sterilization done. Although my cycle is always between 28-30 days. I am more than 10 days late.
I have done home pregnancy test, but it is negative.
Will a home test be able to pick up ectopic pregnancy, as i am very worried. What is the signs &  symptoms... Should i be concerned???

A home pregnancy test might be negative with an ectopic pregnancy. Symptoms are pain and missed period. You should see your doctor.

Posted by: Gina | 2010-07-05

I had an ectopic pregnancy a few months ago. I had what I thought was a normal period and then just happened to take a HPT after it stopped-intuition! The tests were faintly positive, I had no pain. I guess it varies from person to person. The doc saw nothing in mu uterus but did blood tests to monitor HCG levels which were not rising normally. I caught mine early. Get it checked out.

Reply to Gina
Posted by: Dear S | 2010-06-29

sorry for my late reply. I had filsne clips in 2006. When they burned or cut your tubes the reversal is more difficult. I had it done at Bio Art Fertility clinic, Parktown. The cost +/- R26 000.00 (the medical aids does not cover this). Still cheaper than IVF (R43 000,00) . and you can try to conceive every month!!! They have done laporotomy iso laporoscopy. (easier to reverse as this is very micro surgery and not a lot of doctors specialise in this).. I was in hospital for 3 days.. the cut was done on my previous c-section cut.. i am doing great and seeing doctor for check up within 2 weeks. they also put blue dye through your tubes to make sure all is open during surgery. Good Luck!

Reply to Dear S
Posted by: rene | 2010-06-29

i just want to find out is it normal for a girl of 13years to get her period, and with out period pains

Reply to rene
Posted by: S | 2010-06-29

Hi. Perhaps you have a cyst that''s causing your period to be late? That happened to me. Can I ask how the reversal went as I''ve been considering it. What does it cost? Does medical aid pay. How did they perform the op? Many thanks! All the best.

Reply to S
Posted by: Purple | 2010-06-29

If you suspect an ectopic pregnancy, go and see your gynae.
With an ectopic pregnancy, your hormones fluctuate, so if you do a home pregnancy test every second day for a week you will get some positive (feint) and some negative.
The quantitative beta pregnancy test measures how much of the pregnancy hormone you have and it will show you are pregnant and then that you are not and so on if done every 48 hours.
Your gynae can also do a scan and check if there is free fluid.

Its a good idea to see your gynae if you are concerned.

Reply to Purple