Question
Posted by: Kevin | 2010-01-31

Late Period

My wife is 46 yrs old and not on any contraceptives. Her last period started on 27/12/09 which lasted +-5days. We had intercourse a day before the bleeding started i.e. 26/12/09. During the current cycle we didn'  t have sex except for mutual oral sex. Her period would have been due around 23/1/2010 (28 days) but its already 35 days and still no period.

In the past its been seldom for her period to be late - seldom more that 30-32 days. What is chances that she may be pregnant or could there be another explanation for the period being late, possible given her age - pre or menopause?

she has been displaying signs such as hot flushes, problems sleeping, irritability etc.

Kevin

A regular cycle indicates that she is ovulating. Therefore, I suggest that she does a pregnancy test. If the pregnancy test is negative, she should consult a doctor to have a full hormonal profile done. This will indicate if there is any pathology or natural cause.

3
Posted by: S | 2010-02-01

When my period was late, my gynae thought that maybe i had an ovarian cyst.

Reply to S
Posted by: Kevin | 2010-02-01

In fact a pregnancy test was conducted yesterday morning using a home pregancy kit and she tested negative. Given the negative result, can one conclude that the absence of the period is isnt due to pregnancy but some other reason(s)?

Reply to Kevin
Posted by: B | 2010-01-31

Kevin, it is unlikely that she is pregnant - but a home pregnancy test will tell you. Also tell her that HRT' s can make life so much more bearable.

Reply to B