Question
Posted by: Este | 2011/04/07

late onset schizophrenia

my mother has at the age of 62 been diagnosed with late onset (not sure if that''s the words) schizophrenia. I''ve been told by many people that the chances are good that I will get it as well. It that true? Is there anything one can do to prevent this?

It could indeed be late-onset schizophrenia, maybe also called Paraphrenia ? Ordinarily, schizophrenia tends to show itself young, in ones teens or 20s. I don't think there is any major risk of you suffering the same disorder. In many such disorders the risk if there is someone in the family who already has it, is somewhat higher than in the general population, the risk we all run, but I don't think it's exceedingly higher in late onset schizophrenia.
Because it's uncommon, I haven't seen any research looking at ways to prevent it. With schizophrenia of early onset, its believed that early recognition and an early start to treatment, is useful.

2
Posted by: RideTheLightning | 2011/04/07

From what I know the later the better with schizophrenia.

The younger the worse. But I think most woman are pretty much schizo as it is, but i am just remembering now that if you are a woman and you get it later then it can get bad so who really knows eh?

You might get it, you might not, it will probably jump a generation and you will be fine (if you believe all that stuff)

Only one way to find out once and for all. Take the following: -

1) A high dose of blotter paper LSD - say 500mg
2) 3 microdots
3) Smoke 3 grams of hash
4) On the come down consume a few grams of cocaine lased with methamphetamine.

IF you survive the above ordeal then you are not schizophrenic and you have passed the test.

Reply to RideTheLightning