Question
Posted by: Mom | 2008-11-04

Late onset of post natal depression?

Is it possible to suffer from post natal depression, a year and half after giving birth? Or is it just general anxiety. I am 33 years old and my little boy is two and for the last couple of months I have not felt myself. I have a fairly stressful career and work odd hours. I feel frustrated, angry and out of control of my life. I am always tired and sometimes my head feels like it wants to explode. By nature I am a very organised person and like to be in control of my life, but lately feel totally unorganised. I cry alot and snap at my husband which I hate doing.I really have to work on my patience and try to alway be understanding and patient with my little boy.I dont believe in shouting and aggression at home, so I bottle up my frustrations.I dont get to spend time out for myself(like i used too before becoming a mom) and when i do manage to sneak a half hour at the gym once a week, i feel guilty. i only have the one child and love him more than anything. but feel that i am not a good mother and a dissapoinment to my husband. my life is just a continous rush, rush to work, rush home to cook dinner and be a mom, try and get enought sleep, wake up again, and start the whole rush routine again. Is this just a phase i am going through?.

Yes and yes. Stress sounds like a very likely cause of the symptoms you describe --- seeing a shrink or counsellor to sort this out, may well help