Posted by: Late Bloomer | 2009-03-23

Late Bloomer

Let me start from the beginning. I was born prematurely, I only started to walk when I was nearly 3 (very late I know), I spent my time as a child at occupational therapists, paediatricians, and was even told they could not tell if I was left or right-handed. I am a lefty. I started school at 7 turning 8 so I was a year older than everyone else. I remember I could not grasp mathematics too well at all. I passed each year till High school which I then dropped maths as a subject. Hated it so much. Point is I got through school with good grades. I am now working in a travel agency, recently did my exam to do flight bookings around the country and the world. Well the main reason is that I take such a long time to grasp information. I am always asking for help here and there and I often hit a blank and I have to sit and refresh my memory. I feel so stupid sometimes that I am always asking for help. Everywhere it seems like people know there job like the back of their hand and they are such experts. I feel like I will always be asking for help when I want to get the knack of things and do everything myself. I know there is no harm asking for help but one would think by now I can this all on my own. I feel so slow sometimes. My brain feels slow. Do I have a problem or is it perhaps I work to hard and want everything my own way right now. I don' t want to get spoon fed or learn like a parrot but that is how it is most of the time.

I always disliked maths and struggled with it. I think I bloomed more than once, however !
Be cautious when comparing yourself with others --- I'm sure you appear much more competent and confident to others, than you seem to be, to yourself --- and the same applies to them. They don't show you their insecurities or problems. It may be that you mainly suffer a lack of confidence, which could be helped by CBT style counselling ; or you could have one of the many varieties of learning disorder, which can also be helped, but would need a visit to a good psychologist for testing to identify if there is such a problem, and if so, of what type.

Posted by: Katy | 2009-03-23

When starting a new job I make tons and tons of notes!
It' s like my very own trainee manual where I detail the simplest of tasks.

Maybe you can do something similar? This will minimise your asking of others and may help you feel more efficient especially if it relates to tasks that you have done before! :)

And remember that when you do document your notes, that you make it so easy to understand with step by step instructions!

Also, I think you' re a smart person to ask for help if you need it! Most smart people would! :)

Reply to Katy