Question
Posted by: Distraught | 2009-07-16

last tether

I am a 29 year old woman, i have two degress , want to complete my third, and I can' t find a job. I am so frustrated, I just want to leave.
Because I am at home all the time, people just expect me to do things for them because I have nothing to do. I don' t mind doing it, but I am just so frustrated with myself that i can' t find a job to support the houshold income. I feel like a failure and a burden. I feel like my studies and my dream of writing is just a waist. I am loosing my drive to do anything and my self confidence is on its last tether.
I get so angry at myself and those around me. I cry and scream at myself when I am alone because I am such a failure. I really don' t know what to do about finding a job anymore. I applied for at least 3 jobs a day for the last year, but now I don' t even get a response.
I don' t know what I am doing wrong. I know getting a job won' t solve all my problems, but at least I will be out of the house, away from my parents for just 8 hours of the day and I will be able to do something that brings an income not only for the house but for me. I can' t stand depending on my parents for the smallest thing.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!

I'm wondering why you feel the need to have 3 degrees, rather than 2. This may mak you appear over-qualified and under-experienced, to many possible employers. Personally, as someone who has been a widely pulished writer for decades, I think it is very unwise for someone, especially anyone starting out, to expect to support themselves by writing, rather than developing the skills, contacts and opportunities as a hobby or sideline. Very few writers start off being able to support themselves by their writing. But that shouldn't stop anyone from writing whenever they can, nor from constantly scanning for opportunities to write for publication.
Are you clearly focussed on the right sort of jobs that are available for someone with whatever qualifications and experience you have ? Why not volunteer to work as an unpaid intern with businesses in your line of potential work, or with voluntary groups, NGOs and charities, so as to be agreeably occupied, gain experience and credibility in your fields of interest ?
Interesting typo, Degress instead of degrees, reminiscent of digress, as too many degrees can become a digression.

4
Posted by: DW | 2009-07-17

Hey, don' t give up. I am a 29 year old male, and all I have is a matric. I find it difficult to study as I loose concentration easy, but I have learn' t over the years in the different companies I have worked with how to be the best at my job. I am not ashamed to ask something if I don' t know etc, and I am earning a very top salary. I would really like to study. When going for interviews be confident, and let them know that you are prepared to start at the bottom, but also make it clear that you want to climb the ladder. This shows them that you are prepared to work hard and learn as you work, which indicates initiative. Don' t be scared. Good luck, it will come your way. Don' t let this recession put you off, there are jobbs out there!

Reply to DW
Posted by: Princess | 2009-07-17

Why dont you try get a job writing for a free nespaper. Even if they dont pay you much or at all at least you will get experiance. Most companies want degrees AND experiance, and at least it will get you out of the house for a while.

Your actually kind of lucky in a way, im studying law part time, i have to work as well and take care of my own house, its NOT easy

Reply to Princess
Posted by: ing | 2009-07-16

hey,
think about it this way .. atleast ur lucky enough to " have this holiday" 
I' m also studying and also not working.
I know how bad u can feel about urself.
but ultimately, ur healthy, lucky u have a roof over ur head, and even the opportunity to study!
chin up honey. we.ll find something soon!  -)

Reply to ing
Posted by: Distraught | 2009-07-16

Sorry, meant to say degrees.

Reply to Distraught