Question
Posted by: Stacey | 2012-05-01

Last resort

Im not sure if you can help me but at this stage my husband and I are desperate.

We bought a house about a year ago and the previous owner left his dogs behind ... a great dane and a husky mix ( she is very small almost could be mixed with a fox terrier, she only weighs aboyt 15kgs and is not very tall), my husband and i already had 2 dogs ( shelter rescue dogs) a lab cross and corky cross.

We decided to keep the dogs left behind and incorporate them into our family , the property is 1200m2 and big enough for all of them.

Anyway the Storm ( husky cross) has been like no dog my husband and i have ever owned . She jumped over the wall into the neighbours yard , we then extended the wall up and this stopped her for a few months, she has since started getting through again , betweenthe gap ( a tiny gap) between where we extended the wall up ( we added palisade onto a brick wall) and is also jumping through their gate and running the streets. We have put shade net to cover the gap she made a hole , was then added mess which she then used to help her jump over.

We have covered up our gates etc. As soon as we block up one spot she finds another. She is walked and she is very loved so i have no idea why she does this.

Once she is out she doesnt listen to a thing we say and we call her and call her and chase her the more we chase the more she runs , the problem is that she almost thinks its a game , we wil follow her then walk away and she will come running , si we normally just come back home and leave her becuase she doesnt pay attention to cars when we she is watching us.

She will go for like 3 hours and we can hear dogs barking miles away.

Obviously we cant have this as her life is in great danager ( yesturday she ran out in morning peak hr traffic and while i was trying to get her she was almost hit 3 times and caused a bumper bashing) she is dangering herself and peoples lives.

The thing it will kill my husband and i to give her up and the great dane will miss her terribly. But after 18 months of trying we are at our wits end.

Is there anything we can do or that she may be missing becuase we are getting new fence put up and if that doesnt work my husband and i will have a very difficult decision to make ...

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Stacey, so sorry to hear about this, and this really can be a problem with the Husky breed - once they get out, they run, and run and run! It is going to be impossible for me to help you on a forum but what I would suggest is please get in touch with me personally and I will put you in touch with Jasper at Husky rescue. These guys are totally dedicated to helping the breed and would be able to give you the help you need. I dont want to put his contact details on an open forum, so send me an email to scotty@scottysdogs.co.za and we can take from there. thks S

1
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2012-05-02

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert