Posted by: wife | 2009-04-14

last draw

hi, please help me as i dont know what to do..
i hv a problem with my husband i think he' s going mad, when he drinks he becomes violent and starts hitting on me, and when he' s not hitting me, he sees things and thinks that ppl are fighting him.. this is becoming a problem in our relationship, and the worst thing is i dont know how its affecting my daughter cause even though he put her in her room b4 he does these things, but she hears my screams and she knows whats going on.
i want to give him an ultimatum, i' m gonna leave and tell him that he should choose btwn us and the alcohol.
cause when he' s sober he is a darling...
what should i do cause i really want to help him..

It's not a question of going mad, it's more an issue o him maddening himself by drinking, when he knows that it affects him badly. When he is sober, if he ca and will recognize that he has a serious drinking problem, then he must see a shrink for a thoough assesment and start serious treatment for this, join AA, rehab to get off and stay off the booze, and never drink again, as the effects you describe suggest that he reacts badly and dangerously to the alcohol --- and that he needs proper rehab ratyher than just stopping suddenly on his own. It can get complex if he hallucinates when drunk, and may also do so when withdrawing. from alcohol --- he needs the help of the proper experts. If he cannot or will nto do this, sincerely and seriously, then it would be safer for you and your child to leave him and return to family and friends, and leave him to sort himself if and when he decides to do so.