Posted by: Tia | 2008-11-20

laser unsafe for black skin?

hi doc i' ve been considering laser to get rid of excess hair on my body esp on my extended bikini area. I am a 34 yr old black woman and really hirsute. It bothers me most on the upper thighs and lower tummy area where it is coarse and grows quickly in exactly the same pattern as a man' s genital area hair growth.

I have made a few enquiries at different places. However the one clinic I phoned insisted no laser is safe for black skin and that ppl who advertise such services saying they have the correct kind of laser are just out to make a quick buck meanwhile the patient will be left with scarring and pain. Is this true?? How willII know which laser clinic is being honest with me about who can perform this procedure? Am now a bit worried and the last thing i want to do is go to a chancer who claims they' ve worked on black skin when they haven' t.

any advice?

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Tia, thank you for the question.

There are a few lasers that are safe to use on dark skin types. The only one I know of and have personal experience is Syneron’s eMax. I agree that there is a safety concern and possible pigmentation changes and that even scarring can develop, however, with the correct system (technology) and starting at cautious settings I do believe that you should not run into trouble.
Please log on to my webpage at: or and click on the Reference Tab under Non Surgical Aesthetic Treatments. Scroll down the reference page till you see the heading Hair Removal and check the studies listed below demonstrating the use of Syneron’s technology in dark skin individuals including the results and complications:

• Del Giglio, A. Shaoul, J. Hair removal using a combination of electrical and optical energies - Multiple treatments clinical study six months follow up

• Gilmore, K. Adverse event rate in a high volume laser hair removal center