Question
Posted by: Thandi | 2011/10/21

laser ok or not while on Roaccutane?

As a hirsute woman I am having laser hair removal at present (the pain-free hair-free laser), just about everywhere on my furry body. Am a 37yr old black woman. I am also incidentally about to start Roaccutane for cystic/nodular acne. You will be able to tell by now that I have elevated testosterone levels, as I am also on Androcur and Diane 35. I understand I must stop the laser because I am about to go on Roaccutane. Why though? It makes sense to stop it on the face but what would the logic be behind stopping lasering my bikini, tummy and armpit areas? Could you shed some light? (excuse the lousy pun)

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Thandi, thank you for the question.

Unfortunately Roaccutane increases the skin sensitivity to light, including sun light, laser, and IPL. This can result (even with the correct settings for your skin) in severe burns which can result in pigmentory changes (hypo and hyper) and even scarring – not worth the risk.

1
Posted by: anti-ageing expert | 2011/10/23

Hi Thandi, thank you for the question.

Reply to anti-ageing expert