Question
Posted by: Tash | 2009/11/02

laser hair removal

Hi doc I' m a black lady going for laser in the bikini area and I' m very excited at the prospect of permanent results or at least only having to go for touch ups once a year or so.

How realistic are results on black people? I' ve had two sessions so far and am still just as hairy..at what point is the hair noticeably less? What exactly is the improvement - less hairs or less coarse hairs?

I know I still have four sessions to go but am just wondering how much longer before I can see an improvement. Is this normally from the 3rd session onwards?

is it true laser can also help with ingrowns and with scarring from hair removal or is this baloney?

Sorry to go on but last one - the pain is not so intense at the top of the triangle but is murder down the sides towards the vagina. Can there only be one setting during a session? I feel almost nothing when the laser passes over certain areas but its excruciating when it passes over others. Would I be able to ask the therapist to turn up the laser where I am feeling nothing and turn it down where i am in great pain - or must it stay on one settting throughout?

thanks

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Tash, thank you for the question.

The results of permanent hair reduction generally speaking are excellent irrespective of our skin types as long as the machine being used is indicated for darker skin types.

However, these results are dependent on two main factors:
The type of technology used: not all machines for hair removal are the same (even if the manufacturer claims it is!).
The person operating the technology: you can have the best machine in the world but with the incorrect settings one will NOT get any hair removal or even worse one can experience side effects/complications.

The number of sessions required (and hence total sessions required) is dependent on one’s hair growth cycle. Permanent destruction of hair follicles can only take place during the growth spurt (Anagen) of the hair follicle while no destruction will take place during the hair growth ‘resting’ stage (catagen) or in its ‘decline’ stage (telogen).
On average around 70% of the hair is in its growth stage in our pubic area so one should see improvement in hair growth by the third session but this may take a little longer from person to person.

The difference in pain may be due to the difference in follicular density but it may also be that higher settings are required in the less painful areas.

Once permanent hair reduction has been successfully completed you should not experience any ingrown hairs but to reduce scarring and/or pigmentation a different applicator (skin rejuvenation) will need to be used.

1
Posted by: anti-ageing expert | 2009/11/03

Hi Tash, thank you for the question.

Reply to anti-ageing expert