Posted by: Yoli | 2008-12-17

I' m 9 weeks preg and hubby and I have planned to go to mozamboque in 2 weeks time,Gynea has prescribe me Lariam to prevent malaria but he said its proven to 12 weeks preg.Now i can' t sleep thinking about it.
Please help me clear this ordeal.

This is the information on Lariam in pregnancy : Pregnancy Category C. Mefloquine has been demonstrated to be teratogenic in rats and mice at a dose of 100 mg/kg/day. In rabbits, a high dose of 160 mg/kg/day was embryotoxic and teratogenic, and a dose of 80 mg/kg/day was teratogenic but not embryotoxic. There are no adequate and well-controlled studies in pregnant women. However, clinical experience with Lariam has not revealed an embryotoxic or teratogenic effect. Mefloquine should be used during pregnancy only if the potential benefit justifies the potential risk to the fetus. Women of childbearing potential who are traveling to areas where malaria is endemic should be warned against becoming pregnant. Women of childbearing potential should also be advised to practice contraception during malaria prophylaxis with Lariam and for up to 3 months thereafter.