Posted by: Siya | 2009-02-12

Laproscopy-Blocked tubes

Hi Doc,

I had a lapscope done about 2 years ago,doc told me my left tube is compeltely blocked and the other partially blocked.however i still can not conceive naturally,can blocked tubes be unblocked?what do i do now?

Dear Siya

The success of microtubal surgery is entirely dependent on the severity of the blockage as assessed laparscopically. In most instances the success of such surgery is limited and only in highly selective cases are the results extremely favourable. In most cases the option of in-vitro fertilization would offer a far superior success rate then tubal surgery. Furthermore the risk of ectopic pregnancy is significantly increased after tubal surgery and this is another significant drawback of the procedure.

Answered by: Dr M. I. Cassim