Posted by: Karen | 2009-10-11

Please can you assist me with some advice.

I am 33 years old and keep getting ovarian cysts. I have already had four Laparoscopy' s and after not being told the reason why i get these cysts and having to have surgery each and every year i went to find another gynae.

Now this new gynae put me on Provera to try and get it to pop which did not work. Then she put me on Yaz for two weeks at the start of my next period and that did not work. Now the cyst has grown again in size since my last visit to her (this is in the space of two weeks) and it is now over 5cms.

She says she has to remove it - again. I am so so very tired of having surgery to remove these huge cysts that i get. Funny thing is i only have one, only once which i think was last year, did i have two cysts of over 5cm. It is not multiple cysts.

Anyhow, this new doc wants to now do a Laparotomy (which i believe has a longer recovery period) instead of a Laparoscopy and i am terrified. I have to fly to London on the 14th November next month and i cannot afford to not go. So should i have this surgery this week, or choose to have yet another Lapascopy instead? She said she cannot allow me to travel to London for a week with this cysts inside me at this size.

Please help with any advice, i am desperate to make a decision as i cannot afford to miss my trip to London next month as it is for study purposes.

Forgot to add - over the past five years the previous doc has tried a number of different contraceptives, we have even tried Duphaston during the 10 days in the month and still i keep getting these large cysts.

Thank you.

One possible solution for the future might be the injectable, but for the current cyst, it really depends on its size, what your symptoms are and whether it has solid bits or is entirely cystic.