Question
Posted by: Twilight | 2008/07/22

Laparoscopy

I have PCOS, I have been on one cycle of Clomid but my Doctor says my body is not reacting to it. I have not ovulated.

I now need to go on the pill for three months and then have all my cysts burned.
Has anyone gone for a Laparoscopy?
What was it like? Is it sore? Will the cysts come back?
Will i menstrate normally afterwards?

Dear Twilight

The need for three months of the contraceptive pill is perhaps a bit more than I would have advised. One needs only one month of the pill before considering a laparoscopy and ovarian drilling. The current literature shows that ovarian drilling only confers benefit for the first nine months in terms of conception, beyond which, the problem will more than likely recur. In addition, the possibility of developing adhesions internally after the drilling procedure has to be considered and I would strongly advise you to discuss this with your doctor. As regards to menstruating normally afterwards, I would not be to optimistic beyond the 9-month time span.

Answered by: Dr.M.I. Cassim

5
Posted by: Twilight | 2008/07/23

Good luck Anita!

We also want to start a family but i have to sort these issues out first!

Reply to Twilight
Posted by: Anita | 2008/07/23

Yes, they make three incisions - 2 in the bikini line (one on each side) and one inside the naval. The scars are very small, hardly noticible.
We are now ttc - wish us luck!

Reply to Anita
Posted by: Dee GTC | 2008/07/23

They normally make 3 cuts, all about 5 mm. It does leave a scar but its very small and below the bikini line.

Reply to Dee GTC
Posted by: Twilight | 2008/07/23

Oh dear, Thanks Anita,< br> < br> Have you had kids after the op?< br> Where do they do the op from? I have read they sometimes make an incision by the navel? Wont that leave a scar?< br> 

Reply to Twilight
Posted by: Anita | 2008/07/22

Hi, I had a laparoscopy done in January. I went into the theatre at 8h30 and I was home by 15h00. I struggled getting up when laying down, and then the pain in my shoulder on the second day. But I started driving by day 3, obviously cautiously. It isn& #39 t that bad - the worst was having my dressings removed when they took out the stitches! I had my first period after 10 days and then every 28 days after that. I haven& #39 t had a period in over 4 years before the op.

Reply to Anita