Question
Posted by: Gail | 2010-09-23

Laparoscopic Gastric Banding

Please can you assist me with a more or less price to have Laparoscopic Gastric Banding Surgery? I live in the Western Cape.

Expert ImageEating Disorders Expert

Hi Gail,
As you might have read in my profile, I work on a surgical multidisciplinary team that provides bariatric surgery for morbidly obese clients, namely the Chrysals Clinic. It fulfills the criteria as a Centre of Excellence, of which there are anly two in the country. This is an important consideration, as it ensures that important quality criteria are fulfilled. As you are in the Western Cape, I recommend that you contact Gill Gibson, the programme coordinator of the Chrysalis Clinic, and ask her about the pricing of gastric banding. However, have you considered all surgical options? There are a few surgical procedures available, and you might want to consider your alternatives before deciding on banding. At the Chrysalis Clinic, candidate patients meet a number of professionals and have to consider much before making a final decision. What's more, you have to demonstrate that you are physically and mentally fit for surgery. This is why I promote the concept of a Centre of Excellence facility. Although I have suggested that you contact Gill Gibson (021) 674 3309, please note that there are a few other very good bariatric surgeons in Cape Town to choose from. Gill will happily provide you with the alternative surgeons other than the two at the Chrysalis Clinic, should you wish to make price comparisons. Good luck. Regards, Graham

1
Posted by: Eating Disorders and Obesity Expert | 2010-09-25

Hi Gail,

Reply to Eating Disorders and Obesity Expert