Question
Posted by: Thandi | 2008/08/18

Language barrier at work

I am in a dilemna here, I can appreciate someone' s sound advice.

I got a job in this company and all was well at first with the language as they always speak english. After a year, things started to change. Everything is conducted in afrikaans.

The boss speak with me afrikaans, knowing that I dont understand him. Obviously I dont answer I tell him I dont understand the language, he continue speaking it anway.

Meetings are in afrikaans, I dont understand a thing that is said. This really makes me left out in the company' s project.

The boss and everyone knows I cant speak the language and they told me that in this company Afrikaans is the prime language.
Why did they not tell me this on the interview?

It feels like I am fighting an endless battle. I dont have a clue what is happening in the company anymore oz they all speak afrikaans

Consult a good labour lawyer and the ept of Labour / CCMA --- this could amount to the forbidden practice of COnstructive Dismissal, when a company changes the conditions of your work ( like removing your desk and requiring you to work standing up !) so as to make it unpleasant or imposible for you to cary out your work properly --- so that you will resign, and they won't have problems in firing you ( whatever the true reason they may have for wanting you to leave ). And switching to an all-Afrikaans language practice within the company is a significant change in your working conditions.
I wonder how well they are keeping, in general, to guidelines on BEE and diversity ?

1
Posted by: Shooo!!! Ya Neh!!! | 2008/08/18

i hope that is not the government office, speak your language as well, if sotho or zulu be it, then you all won' t understand each other, then that is the middle finger dear.

else, learn the language and lear the job then give them a taste of their own medison, you' ll be fully equiped but don' t make a mistake and quite, don' t quite, you are in the mission. to learn the job and equip yourself for the better future.

fight like no one.i was in that position for long and i was even theratened to resign but believe me i' m close to 10yrs at this company and my mision is to resign whem i have 10yrs of service then run my own practice.

i' m too close to do that, you need to be taugh if you wanna achieve what you always have wanted, they must not threaten you they are all employees.

Reply to Shooo!!! Ya Neh!!!