Question
Posted by: David | 2009-05-26

Lamotrogine - Lamictin/Epitec - Long Term Use &  Malaria

I am on 200mg daily for the past 4 years since BiPolarII diagnosis.
I was wondering if there have been any long term trials of side-effects and general continued efficacy.
Also, anti-malarial tablets and their effect on Lamotrogine - any tests exist?

Expert ImageArchive

Psychiatrist: Lamotrigine remains one of the best mood stabilisers in Bipolar II disorder.

Studies in long term use have failed to demonstrate any serious side effects.
Lamotrigine does not seem to loose efficacy over time.
There is a risk of a serious skin reaction to Lamotrigine (Stevens Johnson Syndrome), but the risk is highest in the early stages of treatment. Skin reactions later in treatment are extremely rare but may occur.

Lariam (mefloquine) reduces the anti-epileptic properties of Lamotrigine. Mefloquine itself is totally contra-indicated in any patient with a Psychiatric disorder as it may lead to severe depressions, psychosis, etc.

1
Posted by: Karen | 2015-03-06

If I take molipaxin and rivitrol with Epitec can I go to a malaria area

Reply to Karen