Question
Posted by: Gloria | 2012-05-15

Lamictin withdrawal

Hi Dr

I stopped Lamictin 100 mg and Abilify 5 mg last week due to my pregnancy. I am continuing on Zoloft 50 mg. I am feeling extremely down and my doctor said that it could be due to withdrawal symptoms as well. I cannot find much information on the internet about Lamictin withdrawal symptoms. Is it normal to experience depression as a withdrawal symptom? Can I expect that my mood will improve when the withdrawal symptoms lessen?

I'm very surpised if your doctor failed to suggest to you a specific plan for how to come of the drugs and what symptoms to expect and how to handle them - that was his task.
Even if depression were not a common withdrawal effect from stopping Lamictin, the withdrawal of its protective effect which would have limited mood swings, might assist in the return of a depressive mood swing.
If the lower mood is truly a withdrawal effect, one could expect it to fade as the withdrawal efect waned, and thus before long ; if it is the return of a depressive mood swing, it would not generally wane, and would need some plan of management. This could include a different and safer antidepressant alternative, or the use of CBT psychotherapy which can also greatly help in managing a depression.

1