Question
Posted by: Esme | 2009/11/04

lame feeling in legs

Hi Doc, I enjoy running and go to gym quite frequently (+3times per wk). However when i participate in races or do any long runs i always end up with a variety of strange sensations from my hips to my toes. It tingles, feels lame and generally uncomfortable. Often during a training session my toes go numb (my shoes arn' t tied too tightly) and i' ll have a limp in my right side.I' m not sure if this originates from my but or hip.On saturday during the race from my hip to my toes (right side) i had pins and needles which continued to the left side. I' m still not comfortable and am experiencing a great deal of numbness. Could this be due a pinched nerve?who do i go to for help with this?

Hi Esme

If I had to guess, and this is a guess, it sounds like a pinched nerve, either lower back, or just below the hip. Sciatic nerve maybe? It's odd that it is on both sides - that suggests that it's at the back, because that's where the common origin of the nerves is, so either you've got the same problem left and right (which is unlikely) or it's in the back.

The best thing initially is probably to see a physio, and if they feel it warrants it, they can refer to a doctor or a chiropractor. But a physio should be able to check where in the back there might be an issue and then relieve it.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2009/11/09

Hi Esme

Reply to fitnessdoc