Question
Posted by: Kasandra | 2011/04/04

Lakto Vegetarian

Hi Dietdoc

A month ago I decided to become vegetarian, never really like eating meat or the idea of eating meat. I have always had bad eating lifestyle, never eating enough.

Since I made the switch I def improved my eating lifestyle, eating a bigger viarity of foods.

Basicly as follows :
Breakfast : Rye Bread with Avo and Hummus
Snack : Small Banana some Dates and Rice Cakes with Low Fat Cottage Cheese or feta
Lunch : Veggie Soups and Rye Bread
Snack : Glass of Juice or piece of chocolate
Dinner : Brown Rice, Yellow, Green, Red Pepper, lots of onion, mushroom and spinach with Irna Paarmanes Pasta Sauce
OR will make roast mix veg

I am trying to eat a variaty of vegetables at least 3 green ones a day and also try something different every week. next week want to try Cauliflower and Brocoli with Cheese Sauce.

I walk the dog 20 minutes every day.

Drink black coffee with sugar two a day and lots of water and maybe 2 small glasses of juice with water.

Take biostrath multi vitamin 3 times a day.

I feel energetic and great. Also lost a bit of weight even thou that was not my goal and are now at my ideal BMI.

Anything else I need to add to my eating plan?

Dear Kasandra
If you eat a lacto-diet, I would encourage you to also eat at least 4 eggs per week, because you could just develop iron-deficiency or vitamin B12 deficiency anaemias. Make sure that you have 3 full servings of milk or yoghurt (1 serving = 1 cup), cottage cheese (1 serving = 1/2 cup) or other cheeses (1 serving = 30 g) every day to provide you with high quality protein and the 1200 mg of calcium you require to prevent brittle bones. I surmise that you take the Biostrath to compensate for nutrients that may be lacking in your diet? Make quite sure that taking 3 Biostrath multivitamins a day does not lead to an excessive intake of nutrients. Just because vitamins, minerals and trace elements in small quantities are good for you, massive doses can lead to a variety of problems. After all the diet you describe is reasonably well balanced and if you eat dark green and yellow vegetables you don't need an extra source of beta-carotene or vit A, just as an example. The milk and dairy products will take care of the protein and calcium and having some eggs will boost your iron and vit B12 intake.
Enjoy

1

Dear Kasandra
Enjoy