Posted by: Cal | 2013-01-16

Lactose intollerent?

I am a 41 year old female. I constantly have mild diarrea and use the 9-strength Probiflora to try and alleviate it. Lately, because of the sudden onset of migraines, I decided to cut out cheese (which I love) and milk from my diet, and I found that my mild daily diarrea seems to be better. Yesterday I had a cappuccino and also had a lot of stress, and today I am back to the mild diarrea. Could I be lactose intolerant?

Dear Cal
If you find that your diarrhoea is linked to the intake of milk and dairy products, then you may be lactose intolerant or allergic to one of the proteins found in milk and dairy. You will have to do a food challenge test. Avoid all milk, cheese, and other dairy products for 10 days while recording your bowel habits. Then have half a cup of milk or 30 g of cheese and record what happens to your diarrhoea. Please try to only apply the challenge when you are not stressed otherwise you won't be able to differentiate what causes the diarrhoea. If you then think that you are lactose or milk protein intolerant/allergic please ask your medical doctor to arrange for tests to confirm this finding because it is not a good idea to cut out the best source of readily available calcium from your diet without solid confirmation. If your tests are positive, then please start taking a calcium supplement every day to ensure that you still obtain the 1200 mg of calcium women need to maintain their bone structure and to prevent osteoporosis. Click on 'Diet & Nutrition' at the top of this page and then on 'Allergy & Intolerance' to read more about milk allergy and lactose intolerance (these are 2 different conditions). You can also contact the Allergy Association by visiting their Website at: to find out more about allergies. For recipes you can try the 'South African Cookbook for Food Allergies & Food Intolerance" by Hilda Lategan. Contact Hilda Lategan, who is also a dietitian, on (012) 546-6410) or send her an e-mail at: .