Question
Posted by: Leigh | 2010-08-13

Lactose intolerate

I am lactose intolerate and if I consume any dairy products I start coughing up mucus. I use fat free milk and it seems to help, but even if I drink too much tea, I start coughing.

Because of this I cannot dare eating yogurt ar any dairy product. What can I use instead?

I do take Calsium supliments because of this. I have noticed if I do not, I start getting cramps (I exercise quite heavy).

Dear Leigh
Yoghurt should not contain any lactose because this 'milk sugar' is changed to acid during the fermentation process. So if you also react to yoghurt (I presume you have tried using some?) then you may not be lactose intolerant, but be reacting to one of the proteins in milk and dairy products. You can substitute soy milk for cow's milk (look in the supermarkets on the milk shelves where the long-life milk cartons are displayed). Just check that the soy milk you use contains added calcium. Cow's milk contains about 1 mg of calcium per ml, so buy a soy milk that also has about 100 mg of calcium per 100 ml. You will also find soy-based yoghurt and even soy cheeses in certain supermarkets (like the big branches of Woolworths). Once again check the calcium content. Adult women require 1200 mg of calcium a day to prevent brittle bones in their youth and osteoporosis later on. Calcium supplements like MenaCal.7 contain calcium plus vitamins D and K, which ensures that the calcium is deposited in the bones and not in the arteries.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2010-08-13

Dear Leigh