Posted by: AB | 2009-04-25

Lactose intolerant

Dear Doc, the paediatrician on this site said that my 7week old baby might be lactose intolerant since she struggles with winds and cramps. She was on NAN Pelargon then we changed to Isomil but after 3 days we don' t see a difference. Would you agree that she is lactose intolerant? Also, we don' t know what lactose intolerance actually means, can you please explain? I don' t want to keep her on soya milk formula if we can help it.

Dear AB
Lactose intolerance means that a baby or an adult does not have the enzyme required to digest the sugar that occurs in milk which is called lactose. Because the individual cannot digest lactose, this sugar ferments in the digestive tract causing diarrhoea, pain, cramps and winds. I would recommend that you actually have your baby assessed by a Paediatrician so that the dr can help you decide if the child is really lactose intolerant or not. The dr may recommend tests just to make sure. Testing is the only way of finding out if the child has a real allergy or not. If your baby is lactose intolerant then you will have to stick to the soya milk formula and also remove all milk products from her diet. This can be tricky so I would recommend that you consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area) to help you adjust to a milk-free diet.

Please I am getting conflicting info about iron diefency and drinking rooibos tea. Can I