Question
Posted by: UNSURE | 2008/10/20

LACTOSE INTOLERANT

Dear Diet Doc

I am a 23 yr old female. I have put on some weight during the past year and would very much like to lose. I am 66 ks and because of my height I need to lose about 10. I am going to gym 4 times a week and also walk 3 days a week.

I have been drinking soya milk. Some days up to 1lt per day.

Could this be causing me not to lose weight.

Pse recommend a diet for me to follow.

Dear Unsure
You will need to check on the label of the soya milk that you use to see how much energy it contains. The label should list the energy content per 100 ml. You then multiply this value by 10 to work out how much energy your litre of soya milk is providing. If you were not lactose intolerant and were able to drink fat-free cow's milk 1 litre would provide 1460 kJ or 23,1% of your daily energy intake when you are trying to lose weight. If your litre of soya milk contains more energy then it could be causing weight gain. I do not have a slimming diet on this Website for someone who is lactose intolerant, so I would recommend that you consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will work out a specific slimming diet for you that avoids foods containing lactose.