Question
Posted by: Mechan | 2011/03/16

Lactose intolerance diet

Hi there doc, I suspect my husband is lactose intolerant, how can I change his diet??? Please help .....

Dear Mechan
It is vital that your husband first gets tested to determine if he is really lactose intolerant or not. Otherwise he may be avoiding foods like milk and dairy products (our best source of calcium in the diet) to no avail. Self-diagnosis of food allergies is potentially dangerous. Please encourage him to visit your gp so that the dr can arrange the necessary tests for lactose intolerance. If he tests positive, then we can make the necessary changes to his diet. In the meanwhile, click on 'Diet'n Food' at the top of this page and then on 'Allergy & Intolerance' to read more about milk allergy and lactose intolerance (these are 2 different conditions). You can also contact the Allergy Association by visiting their Website at: www.allallergy.net to find out more about allergies. For recipes you can try the 'South African Cookbook for Food Allergies & Food Intolerance" by Hilda Lategan. Contact Hilda Lategan, who is also a dietitian, on (012) 546-6410) or send her an e-mail at: mwhildal@mweb.co.za .

1

Dear Mechan