Question
Posted by: Lance | 2009-10-13

lactose

Hi Doc,

I am an active person who runs long distance events. I enjoy my cereals and tea with milk however, find that I get a build up phlegm and blocked nose which is uncomfortable on runs and may effect my performance.

Are these symptoms related to the milk intake?
I am obviously not lactose intolerant cause I don' t have any real symptoms like abdominal pain and diarrhoea.

Basically I am asking if I should cut out dairy products from my diet closer to events?

Cheers
Lance

Dear Lance
Your build up of phlegm and blocked nose which interfere with your running could well be due to a milk sensitivity, but there are many other foods and allergens (pollen, animal hairs, dust, house mites, grasses, etc) that could be causing your symptoms. I would recommend that you try cutting out milk for 2 weeks to see if the symptoms improve. If they do, then you may well be sensitive to milk as such (you may still be able to eat yoghurt and cheeses). If the symptoms don't clear up then you will need to have allergy tests done to determine exactly which food/allergen you are reacting to so that you can obtain treatment. If you do cut out all milk and dairy then please keep in mind that you will need to take a calcium supplement to make up for the lack of calcium in your diet, esp if you are very active. You don't want to develop stress fractures! Take a supplement like MenaCal.7. Your gp will be able to arrange for allergy tests if this should be necessary.
Best r

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2009-10-13

Dear Lance
Best r