Question
Posted by: Cheryl | 2009/08/12

Labrador puppy

Hi Doc,
I have a female labrador who is now 16 weeks. She has been sleeping inside since we got her. Now that it is warming up a bit I would like her to start sleeping outside, there is plenty of shelter, she has a kennel (2 actually) in an undercovered area so it' s pretty warm and she enjoys being outside with the other two dogs.

Thing is, she is so used to sleeping inside that she starts " knocking"  on the door near sleep time. Last night she actually picked up a stone in her mouth and was knocking it against the window! Besides putting her basked and blankie outise for her, how else can I encourage her to stay outside during the night?

Dear Cheryl

Put a DAP diffuser in her kennel outside for a few months.

8
Posted by: Megan | 2009/08/14

Hi, I have 2 labradors, one and a half years old. When we first got them my husband insisted they sleep outside. After months of sleepless nights because of their barking and trying to get inside, he' s relented and they all now sleep inside. I' m much happier, and so are they ... they sleep peacefully through the whole night (and so do I)!

Reply to Megan
Posted by: Anonymous | 2009/08/14

My Boerboel sleeps on the floor next to my bed on her " blankie" . I feel a whole lot better having her next to me. My Min Pin sleeps inside my pyjama leg but that' s a whole other story. There are too many stories of dogs being distracted on one side of a property while the rest of the team gains access from the other side. Lord help the fool who walks into my bedroom. Criminals don' t expect a big dog to be inside.

Posted by: Anonymous | 2009/08/14

Posted by: Chill | 2009/08/13

If I were a burglar, and wanted access to a house with outside dogs, I' d open the gate, wait for them to wander out, and then go in and close the gate behind me.

Can' t do that if the dogs are in the house.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Kate | 2009/08/13

My dogs sleep inside and believe me I am warned way in advanced if there is anything dodgy going on outside.
Also my dogs do not spend the whole night barking like my neighbours dogs who all sleep out side.
My Lab is 9 months old.
Survey taken showed that intruders feel a dog inside is more of a deterent. :)

Reply to Kate
Posted by: Cheryl | 2009/08/13

Yeah, I was considering letting her sleep inside permanently, she is house trained and besided chewing my one curtain tie-back, she is not too destructive. I do feel safer with her inside especially since she is going to be a big dog. On the other hand though I would like to know if there is danger before it gets inside. I' ll keep her inside for a while because I think I spoke too soon, there seems to be another cold front on the way. Thanks fot the advice.

Reply to Cheryl
Posted by: Anonymous | 2009/08/13

I couldn' t agree more with chill, We have 3 large dogs and they all sleep inside...Yhey are house trained....Nowadays with dogs being poisened   it is best for them to sleep inside....

Posted by: Chill | 2009/08/12

Frankly, I' d say she' s too young to be outside yet. Wait till it' s properly summer, if you must... personally, my dogs always sleep indoors - it' s safer for them and for me!

Reply to Chill