Posted by: Cheryl | 2009-06-30

Labrador puppy

Hi there,

I have a 9 week old labrador puppy. She is doing very well and is very active (as puppies should be!). She seems to irritate the other dogs though and bites their tails, they obviously get annoyed and snap at her - my question is whether they may hurt her intentionally or just put her in her place and teach her " who' s boss" 

Let things be. She will soon learn.

Posted by: steph | 2009-06-30

the older dogs will discipline her and if she' s still young and a balanced dog she will most likely respond to this discipline well before it comes to the point that she gets hurt. But this also depends on how balanced the older two are. sometimes if the older dogs discipline too regimentaly the younger dog may develope a pattern whereby when confronted with a new dog they will initially be quite aggressive, in a bid to avoid discipline. Having said that, the aggression is usually short lived and more of a warning and should not escalate into an attack. dogs are a lot sharper than we can truly understand as far as social hierarchy goes I believe.

Reply to steph
Posted by: Carol | 2009-06-30

They will sort her out as she gets older .. her " puppy" licence will start to run out at about 6 months .

I have found with older dogs they will snap and deal with bad puppies gently at first and as the need arises will get a bit harsher ..I doubt they will hurt her tho.. my two old boxers have raised many a kitten and have never hurt one .

Dont interfere with this discipline either ..pup needs it :)

Reply to Carol