Question
Posted by: Hannah | 2009/05/21

Labrador Puppy

Dear Cyber Vet,

We are getting a thoroughbred labrador puppy in a few weeks, she is only 3 weeks old now so will stay with her mom until about 7 weeks old. We intend to train her etc and know what we are getting ourselves into!!

My question is: we already have 2 female spaniels and we were told not to add another female to the crowd as they will fight a lot. Our spaniels are great with our children and are not aggressive but how do we prevent fighting amoungst 3 females? And how do we introduce the new " baby"  to our fury children?

Dear Hannah

Introduce them away from home in a park or somewhere where they can run and play together before taking them home. I would suggest that you take the lab for puppy classes and then you should not have a problem.

4
Posted by: Anonymous | 2009/05/21

get loads of toys  treat toys and chew ropes etc  -)

Posted by: Hannah | 2009/05/21

Thanks Anonymous, I wasn' t asking if I should get a lab or now, the decision has been made already. I am quite familiar with labs and their behaviour.

Reply to Hannah
Posted by: Dragonfly | 2009/05/21

The chances of them fighting are less if all three dogs are spayed. So have the lab puppy done as soon as she is old enough.

Reply to Dragonfly
Posted by: Anonymous | 2009/05/21

Labradors are great dogs....if u have time for them...they need alot of attention......they can be very distructive if left alone especially the first 3 years..... So if u have patience and don' t mind havin g something chewed up then get one...they are very loyale dogs....