Question
Posted by: Marita | 2011/04/04

Labrador - patches on body

Our 3 year old labrador has patches on both his front paws where the hair fell out and it looks very bad and half raw. He also licks it a lot. Is there any ointment or treatment I can try? At this stage I do not have money to take him to a Vet.

Hi Marita
You should take him to a vet if at all possible as there are numerous things that can cause these symptoms and an ointment can do more harm than good.

6
Posted by: Chill | 2011/04/07

Actually this doesn''t sound like an allergy to me. As the vet said, it could be a number of things, but to me it sounds like it''s possibly a lick granuloma, which although it often has some specific cause, evolves into a neurotic condition.

I certainly wouldn''t at this stage recommend changing his diet (except to upgrade, should this be applicable), nor treating for allergy.

As said already, a vet needs to see the dog, because without a proper diagnosis, you don''t know what the proper treatment is.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Kate | 2011/04/07

Not sure what you are feeding.
Perhaps change in diet - get a skin food.
Stay away from chicken and rice as this can cause allergies.
Try giving the poor guy some allergex.
You want to stop this problem asap as it can become a habit and that is big bucks trying to fix.

Reply to Kate
Posted by: sTACEY | 2011/04/06

Shnoodle - That is an unfair statement to make to Marita , you dont know the circumstances , maybe something has financially made Marita unable to take the dog at this time to a vet , Marita may love the dog and it may be a temp issue that she cant tale him at this stage to the vet .

Reply to sTACEY
Posted by: Shnoodle | 2011/04/05

Take him to the SPCA to get it checked out for free or at a lowered rate. If you cant afford to look after your dog then perhaps you need to find someone who can.

Reply to Shnoodle
Posted by: Stacey | 2011/04/05

A nail may be too long and irritating him , thats only if he is biting there

Reply to Stacey
Posted by: CyberVet | 2011/04/04

Hi Marita

Reply to CyberVet