Question
Posted by: jinx | 2010/04/12

labrador overweight & eating habit

I have a 5 year old labbie - he is overweight. He is on a strict diet at the moment, my concern is that he needs to be fed by hand- I would like to know what is the cause. have tried to stop feeding by hand, but it does not work. Please help

Dear Jinx

If you stop feeding by hand the dog will loose weight and your problem will be solved. Just act a bit sensible.

6
Posted by: jinx | 2010/04/22

Just a quick feedback......it seems to be working, he does not eat as such by hand, he eats from the bowl, I bought a plastic one, instead of the stainless steel one, and I gathered that he is scared of the noise that the stainless steel one does. So he eats directly from the plastic, but I still need to bring it to him to eat. There is progress...., the next step is now for him to go out on his own to eat without me telling him its time to eat.....
Thanks for all your comments &  advice!

Reply to jinx
Posted by: Cybervet | 2010/04/16

Dear Jinx

Reply to Cybervet
Posted by: jinx | 2010/04/14

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I am going to try that definitely and report back, I will be so happy if he does. I need to get up earlier in the mornings to feed him, and it does take up alot of time. Once again thank you!!!

Reply to jinx
Posted by: Chill | 2010/04/13

I must say that when I read your post, my first thought was that the dog has somehow been conditioned not to want to eat out of his bowl. Just as one can train a dog to accept food from only one person (not a good idea, in my opinion!), you can also train them into other eating habits... sometimes inadvertently, as the gardener may well have done.

Why don''t you try putting his food onto a sheet of paper, or onto a cloth, and see if he''ll eat that way? If he does, you could maybe put some onto a saucer, or into a container that doesn''t look or sound like his normal bowl - maybe an ice cream container, or something? Use tricks like this to condition him into beginning to eat ''normally''. Test to see if he''s happier doing this in some place other than where his bowl is normally put - feed him in a different room, or on the opposite side of the kitchen, for example. See how he reacts if you''re nearby, or if you''re out of sight - some dogs don''t like eating if they are being watched. You will have to experiment with all these options, and see if you can get through to him that way. Patience may be required!

Whatever happens - if he eats even ONE bit by himself, you will of course praise him like he''s the biggest genius in the world...

Reply to Chill
Posted by: jinx | 2010/04/13

I don''t think he is spoilt, he does not like the sound of the bowl, he is scared of it - think our then gardener must have scared him. I have tried to leave food for 2 days for him to eat, but he will not..... so I will give it another go. Many thanks for your reply.

Reply to jinx
Posted by: Candi | 2010/04/12

LOL - he is spoilt. Stop feeding him by hand! Show him where his food is and leave him! If he is hungry he will eat! Touch love!
Good Luck

Reply to Candi