Posted by: Hannah | 2009-09-14

Dear Doc,

This question is for the Vet and I really don' t want any replies from Chill who " quite frankly"  (obviously her favourite saying) irritates the living crap out of me.

My female labrador is 5 months old so will no doubt be in heat soon. We would like her to have only one litter of pups (for various reasons) before we have her spayed but she is far too young to have pups now. What age is appropriate, and is there perhaps any medication that could prevent her from going on heat - I would hate the mangy muts next door to get hold of her.

Dear Hannah

You can have an injection done to prevent her from having a season. Dogs usually will come on heat about 6 months after the last injection. The injection can in some cases cause pyometra (uterus infection). I would try and live with the seasons and have the bitch mated the season after 1.5 years of age.

Posted by: Frankie | 2009-09-15

Hannah, can i suggest you change your ' nickname'  to Scratchy? You seem to have some anger issues.

Reply to Frankie
Posted by: Hannah | 2009-09-15

Thanks for the reply Anonymous, all I wanted was an answer to my question and not financial advice, I am very well prepared to everything else that comes with a litter of pups.

Reply to Hannah
Posted by: Chill | 2009-09-14

Is the reason you want the dog to have pups for the dog' s sake, or the pups' ?

Certainly there are medications to prevent oestrus, but they carry quite significant health risks for the dog.

I' m desperately sorry I irritate you, by the way. It' s quite ruined my day. I wonder, though, how you come to refer to me as ' her'  - quite frankly, if that' s a conclusion you' ve jumped to, perhaps you should revisit some of your other judgments too.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Big Dog Lover | 2009-09-14

You still have a few months before she comes on heat. Anytime from 10 - 12 months you can expect her to come into season. An old friend who used to breed Rotties used to get something from the vet to stop them coming fully on heat. Sometimes she would show signs of coming on heat a week or 2 before a dog show. Whatever he got from the vet used to work. Check with your local vet. Good luck.

Reply to Big Dog Lover

Your dog should be at least 2 years of age before having a litter.
Yes there is a " pill"  your dog can take but there is no guarantee that when your dog has puppies that there are no side effects of having taken this pill.
You can be responsible and have your dog put in a kennel every time she goes on heat.
I hope you are prepared for the major and or hiden costs involved as a responsible breeder, ie an emergency cesearian, vet check ups before and during pregnancy, correct feeding, innoculations of the puppies and of course being prepared to take back any puppy that is not 100% healthy.
Good luck.