Question
Posted by: thembi mabhiza | 2012/01/23

l m losing waight too much

hie l m a 29 year old woman ,l m losing waight too much since l gave birth to my daugher on 8 Aprial 2004, since then l have been losing waight so much that l now loock like a an 18 year old girl , pliz help l went hiv test and it come out negative .

Dear Thembi
I am so pleased that your HIV test was negative, but it is important that you find out why you are losing weight all the time. Go back to the doctor or the clinic where the HIV test was done and ask them to give you a full medical checkup. Unintended weightloss can be a symptom of a variety of conditions (not just HIV) such as over-active thyroid gland, poor absorption of food because of enzyme deficiencies, TB, etc. It is important to get a diagnosis so that if you have a medical reason for losing weight it can be treated. Basically individuals who struggle to gain weight do not ingest sufficient energy for the high demands of their Basic metabolic rate and/or physical activity. I have written some articles on this subject. For basic information click on 'Diet & Nutrition' at the top of this page and then on 'Nutrition Basics' and 'Weight gaining' and read the articles. Companies like Nestle, among others, make meal replacement supplements Phone the Nestle Consumer Services at 0860 09 6789 and ask about Nutritional Supplements to boost your energy intake. You can purchase liquid meal supplements at most chemist shops. Talk to the pharmacist about your need to gain weight and see which products he or she will recommend. Basically you need to eat more food either by gradually increasing how much you eat at each meal, or by taking supplements IN ADDITION to your regular meals (not to replace meals), or by having more snacks between meals. If you use a liquid meal supplement at the rate of 200 ml 3x a day, then you should gain 1 kg per week. Feedback from other Readers has indicated that they have successfully gained weight by using a meal supplement.

1

Dear Thembi